Nasdaq’s Intro to a General Counsel series highlights the top governance professionals and teams around the world who go the extra mile in driving governance excellence. Discover how leading companies are incorporating good corporate governance into their corporate strategy and achieving meaningful impact.
For this edition, we are joined by Jordan Fasbender, the Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of iHeartMedia, where she oversees all legal functions for iHeartMedia. In addition, she oversees the company’s government affairs, business affairs, compliance, regulatory and governance functions and is responsible for operations and transactions, securities, intellectual property, litigation and privacy. Prior to joining iHeart, Ms. Fasbender served as Senior Vice President and Associate General Counsel for 21st Century Fox and was an associate at Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP.
What advice do you have for the next generation of Governance leaders?
It’s important to make sure you have a good set of advisors and information sources to ensure you are kept apprised of recent developments and in turn keep management and the board of directors informed and updated, as well as maintaining best practices.
What is one important initiative that you’ve championed or experience that you’ve had as a General Counsel at iHeartMedia?
I have really enjoyed working on our first environmental, social, and governance (ESG) report a few years ago and continuing to work on our ESG initiatives. At iHeart, our commitment to serve our communities is at the core of what we do. Our commitment to ESG initiatives stems from our deep and enduring ties to the communities in which we all live and work. And as a company whose relationships with consumers, advertisers, partners and stakeholders are critical to our success, an active approach to ESG is a vital part of our strategy.
What are your top priorities as General Counsel at iHeartMedia?
My priorities as General Counsel at iHeartMedia include:
- Being an effective, strategic business-minded partner and forming strong relationships across the company.
- Developing and mentoring talent throughout the organization.
- Strong communication skills ensuring advice is clear and responsive.
What has been the most rewarding aspect working as General Counsel at iHeartMedia?
No day is ever the same, and I learn something new every day. Our business is constantly innovating and growing and it’s exciting and rewarding to partner with our teams to help bring these new ideas to life.
How has Nasdaq Governance Solutions helped iHeartMedia drive governance excellence?
Nasdaq Governance Solutions has been our trusted partner in corporate governance in 2 main ways:
- First, we wanted to transition to a Board Portal software with the goal of creating a centralized user-friendly resource for the Board, and Nasdaq Boardvantage has been a big help in accomplishing that, along with our dedicated account management team.
- Second, Nasdaq has transformed our D&O Questionnaires with their dynamic and customizable digital solution. This service has saved our board members and executives valuable time and streamlined the information gathering process for our governance team.